Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried cilantro flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Shredded cheddar cheese, salsa and minced fresh cilantro
- Tortilla chips
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the beans, tomatoes, chilies, rice, water and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; covered and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve in the skillet or transfer to a shallow serving dish. Sprinkle with toppings of your choice. Serve with tortilla chips.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 273 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 716mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 19g protein.
Sep 10, 2017
I have made this tasty meal since I found the recipe in the Taste of Home Ground Beef cookbook years ago. We use the leftovers (it's just us 2) in a tortilla and adds extra cheese. It's fast, easy and and good.
Apr 24, 2015
Very good. Make again.
May 15, 2011
Looking for easy weekday recipe, and this certainly is one. Only change I would make is forget the Tortilla chips and serve it with soft taco.
Oct 22, 2009
We never have leftovers!! Everyone loves this dish. It has even won 1st place for our sons Boy Scout troop dutch oven cooking competition. Took it home for over 22 family members during hunting season and had them all asking for the recipe. We have eaten it with wraps too.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.