Salted Dark Chocolate Tart
When I was little, my grandpa always had a bag of caramels in his truck and a few in his pocket. Whether we were camping or going to a movie, I enjoyed sharing caramels with him. Now I try to put caramel in as many of my desserts as possible, including this sweet and salty tart. —Leah Tackitt, Austin, Texas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 15 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups Oreo cookie crumbs
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- Dash salt
- 4 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon large-crystal sea salt
- In a small bowl, combine cookie crumbs and butter; press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- For caramel, in a small saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar and water. Cook, shaking pan occasionally, until sugar is melted and mixture is almost clear (do not boil).
- Increase heat to medium high; bring to a boil, without stirring. Cover and boil for 2 minutes, tightly hold lid of pan down. Uncover; shake pan. Cook 1-2 minutes longer or until mixture is amber, shaking pan several times.
- Remove from the heat; stir in cream (mixture will bubble) until smooth. Stir in butter (mixture will bubble) and salt until blended. Pour into crust; refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Place chocolate in a large bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Stir in vanilla. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Pour over caramel. Sprinkle with sea salt. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Remove from the refrigerator about 45 minutes before serving.