My family piles this versatile relish on sandwiches, chicken and even enchiladas! Prepare it the night before your party to avoid last-minute prep...and the let the flavors blend..
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice, oil, sugar, salt and pepper. Pour over onion mixture; toss to coat. Refrigerate until chilled. Serve with a slotted spoon.