- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-3/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light molasses
- 3 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups rye flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Stir in brown sugar, molasses, caraway seeds, oil, salt and remaining water. Add rye flour, whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape each into a round loaf; place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake until golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Remove from pan to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews forRustic Rye Bread
"I just finished mixing ingredients together and it looks like to me, it's only going to make one loaf and not two. Anyone else have this problem?"
"Where can I find rye flour? I've looked in all 13 stores here in town and no one has it. I want to try this receipe because it looks like one that I loved in Sweden."
"I haven't made this yet but I'm going to. I want to make this in a Breadmaker. I have bread Machine yeast in a jar. How many teaspoons or tablespoons would I need for this recipe???????? Please help! You can even email me with your answer- Tom, - [email protected] Thanks, please hurry I love a good Rye bread!!!!!!!"
"couple of questions...is Rye flour easily purchased? Not sure I've eve seen it in my local supermarket. Also, could this be baked on a stone? Thanks in advance."