Here's an easy recipe that's versatile, too. Serve the saucy brats over rice for one meal and have them on buns the next. For extra punch, add a splash of root beer concentrate to the sauce. &emdash;Pam Thompson, Girard, Illinois
Recommended: 30 Recipes to Make with Beer
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (12 ounces) root beer
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 teaspoons ground mustard
- 3 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 10 Johnsonville® Original Brats
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 10 hoagie buns, toasted
- Thinly sliced red onion, optional
- Prepared mustard, optional
- Whisk first four ingredients until blended. In a large nonstick skillet, brown bratwursts over medium-high heat. Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add onion, chili sauce and root beer mixture.
- Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours (a thermometer inserted in sausage should read at least 160°). Serve in buns. If desired, top with onion and mustard. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Root Beer Brats in Simple & Delicious December/January 2017