Root Beer Apple Baked Beans
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 6 thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 4 cans (16 ounces each) baked beans
- 1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling
- 1 can (12 ounces) root beer
- 1 teaspoon ground ancho chili pepper, optional
- 1 cup shredded smoked cheddar cheese, optional
- Prepare campfire or grill for medium heat, using 32-36 charcoal briquettes or large wood chips.
- In a 10-in. Dutch oven, cook bacon over campfire until crisp. Remove; discard drippings. Return bacon to pan; stir in baked beans, pie filling, root beer and, if desired, ancho chili pepper
- Cover Dutch oven. When briquettes or wood chips are covered with ash, place Dutch oven on top of 16-18 briquettes. Place 16-18 briquettes on pan cover.
- Cook 30-40 minutes to allow flavors to blend. If desired, sprinkle servings with cheese.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 255 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 778mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 9g fiber), 10g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 17, 2016
What a fun twist on traditional baked beans! I followed the recipe except I used "no sugar added" apple pie filling. I included the ancho chili pepper and smoked cheddar. Next time I'll use less root beer just to make the bean sauce thicker; the flavor the soda gave the beans was delicious!
Jun 23, 2016
These beans were good, something different. I chopped up the apple slices, used only 3/4 cup root beer and only 1/2 cup shredded cheese. I made these beans yesterday when friends stopped by and everyone liked them so much, I plan to make a double batch for a big party I'm having Fourth of July weekend.
Jun 2, 2016
Really sweet! Too much for my taste.