Zucchini, cucumbers and carrots are peeled into “ribbons” for this citrusy salad. We like to serve it for parties and special occasions. —Nancy Heishman, Las Vegas, Nevada
Featured In: 23 Classic Recipes for Your Passover Seder
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 medium carrot
- 3 medium oranges
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup golden raisins, optional
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave zucchini, cucumber and carrot lengthwise into very thin strips.
- Finely grate enough peel from oranges to measure 2 tablespoons. Cut one orange crosswise in half; squeeze juice from orange to measure 1/2 cup. Reserve peel and juice for vinaigrette. Cut a thin slice from the top and bottom of remaining oranges; stand oranges upright on a cutting board. With a knife, cut off peel and outer membrane from orange. Cut along the membrane of each segment to remove fruit.
- In a large bowl, combine spinach, orange sections, green onions, walnuts, salt, pepper and, if desired, raisins. Add vegetable ribbons; gently toss to combine. In a small bowl, combine vinaigrette ingredients. Add reserved orange peel and juice; whisk until blended. Drizzle half of the vinaigrette over salad; toss to coat. Serve with remaining vinaigrette. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Ribbon Salad with Orange Vinaigrette in Taste of Home November 2015, p75