Rabanadas (Portuguese French Toast)
I find this dish a comforting reminder of my childhood. The creamy custard center contrasts deliciously with the cinnamon sugar crust. —Ana Paula Cioffi, Hayward, California
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- Oil for frying
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) French bread, cut into 1-inch slices
- In a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon until blended. In a large shallow dish, whisk eggs and milk. Dip both sides of bread in egg mixture, soaking lightly.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 350°. Working with a few slices at a time, remove bread from egg mixture, allowing excess to drain, and fry 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Dip warm rabanadas in cinnamon-sugar to coat all sides. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Originally published as Rabanadas (Portuguese) in Taste of Home Recipes Across America
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.