Pressure-Cooker Flan in a Jar
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + cooling Cook: 10 min. + releasing
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 cup coconut milk or whole milk
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
- Dash salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon dark rum, optional
- In a small heavy saucepan, spread sugar; cook, without stirring, over medium-low heat until it begins to melt. Gently drag melted sugar to center of pan so sugar melts evenly. Cook, stirring constantly, until melted sugar turns a deep amber color, about 2 minutes. Immediately remove from heat and carefully stir in hot water. Quickly pour into 6 hot 4-ounce jars.
- In a small saucepan, heat coconut milk and whole milk until bubbles form around sides of pan; remove from heat. In a large bowl, whisk condensed milk, eggs, egg yolk and salt until blended but not foamy. Slowly stir in hot milk; stir in vanilla and, if desired, rum. Strain through a fine sieve. Pour egg mixture into prepared jars. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place trivet insert and 1 cup water in a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Place jars on trivet, offset-stacking as needed. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 6 minutes.
- Let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes; quick-release any remaining pressure. Cool jars 30 minutes at room temperature. Refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour. Run a knife around sides of jars; invert flans onto dessert plates.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1/3 cup: 223 calories, 10g fat (8g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 306mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Nov 9, 2019
I've made this twice now and it's just so fun and quick and delicious! Real flan- please believe me I know I lived in Spain for several years
Jul 17, 2019
What kind of 4 ounce jar do you use???
Jun 25, 2019
I had time to make this recipe. Melting sugar takes constant watching. I used 15 minutes high pressure, 10 minutes natural release then quick release in my multi cooker. Custard was set when I took the lid off. Try this recipe when you have time.