Pressure Cooker Chicken Mole
Chocolate with chicken? If you’re not familiar with mole, don’t be afraid of this versatile Mexican sauce. I love sharing this recipe because it’s a great one to experiment with. —Darlene Morris, Franklinton, Louisiana
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min. + releasing
- 2 cups water
- 12 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed (about 4-1/2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- MOLE SAUCE:
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 dried ancho chilies, stems and seeds removed
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Fresh cilantro leaves, optional
- Pour water into a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Sprinkle chicken with salt; place over water. Combine the tomatoes, onion, chilies, almonds, raisins, oil, cocoa, chipotle pepper, garlic, cumin and cinnamon in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Pour over chicken. Lock lid; make sure vent is closed. Select Manual setting; adjust pressure to high and set time for 15 minutes.
- When finished cooking, allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes and then quick-release any remaining pressure according to manufacturer's instructions. Remove chicken; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Stir in chocolate until melted. Serve chicken with sauce. Sprinkle with cilantro if desired.
Originally published as Chicken Mole in tasteofhome.com
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.