Slow Cooker Flan in a Jar
Spoil yourself or the people you love with these delightful portable custards. They're a cute and fun take on the Mexican dessert classic. Tuck a jar into your lunchbox for a sweet treat. —Megumi Garcia, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 2 hours + cooling
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 3 cups hot water (110°-115°)
- 6 canning jars (4 ounces each) with lids and bands
- 1 cup coconut or whole milk
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon dark rum, optional
- In a small heavy saucepan, spread sugar; cook, without stirring, over medium-low heat until it begins to melt. Gently drag melted sugar to center of pan so sugar melts evenly. Cook, stirring constantly, until melted sugar turns a deep amber color, about 2 minutes. Immediately remove from heat and carefully stir in 1 tablespoon hot water. Quickly pour into six hot 4-ounce jars.
- In a small saucepan, heat coconut milk and whole milk until bubbles form around sides of pan; remove from heat. In a large bowl, whisk condensed milk, eggs, egg yolk and salt until blended but not foamy. Slowly stir in hot milk; stir in vanilla and, if desired, rum. Strain through a fine sieve. Pour egg mixture into prepared jars. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Add remaining hot water to a 6-qt. slow cooker; place jars in slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high 2 hours or until centers are set. Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove jars to a 13x9-in. baking pan filled halfway with ice water; cool 10 minutes. Refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour. Run a knife around sides of jars; invert flans onto dessert plates.
Test Kitchen tips
Originally published as Slow Cooker Coconut Flan in tasteofhome.com
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.