Slow Cooker Flan in a Jar
Spoil yourself or the people you love with these delightful portable custards. They're a cute and fun take on the Mexican dessert classic. Tuck a jar into your lunchbox for a sweet treat. —Megumi Garcia, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 2 hours + cooling
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 3 cups hot water (110°-115°)
- 6 canning jars (4 ounces each) with lids and bands
- 1 cup coconut or whole milk
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon dark rum, optional
- In a small heavy saucepan, spread sugar; cook, without stirring, over medium-low heat until it begins to melt. Gently drag melted sugar to center of pan so sugar melts evenly. Cook, stirring constantly, until melted sugar turns a deep amber color, about 2 minutes. Immediately remove from heat and carefully stir in 1 tablespoon hot water. Quickly pour into six hot 4-ounce jars.
- In a small saucepan, heat coconut milk and whole milk until bubbles form around sides of pan; remove from heat. In a large bowl, whisk condensed milk, eggs, egg yolk and salt until blended but not foamy. Slowly stir in hot milk; stir in vanilla and, if desired, rum. Strain through a fine sieve. Pour egg mixture into prepared jars. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Add remaining hot water to a 6-qt. slow cooker; place jars in slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high 2 hours or until centers are set. Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove jars to a 13x9-in. baking pan filled halfway with ice water; cool 10 minutes. Refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour. Run a knife around sides of jars; invert flans onto dessert plates.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1/3 cup: 224 calories, 10g fat (8g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 87mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Coconut Flan in tasteofhome.com
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.