Potato Salad with Kalamata-Hazelnut Vinaigrette
Potato salad tossed with vinaigrette has a lighter taste than traditional mayo versions. I add velvety avocado and hazelnuts for cool texture and crunch. —Laurie Bock, Lynden, Washington
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min. + chilling
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 5 medium), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted, divided
- 5 tablespoons rice vinegar, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped Kalamata olives
- 2 medium ripe avocados
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, place a steamer basket over 1 in. of water. Place potatoes in basket. Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; steam, covered, 15-18 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a large bowl; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Place 2 tablespoons hazelnuts in a food processor. Add 4 tablespoons rice vinegar, water, oil, oregano, garlic, sugar, salt, pepper flakes and pepper. Pulse until blended. Stir in olives and remaining hazelnuts.
- Peel and thinly slice avocados; toss with remaining vinegar. Layer a fourth of the potatoes, avocados and onion in a large bowl; drizzle with a fourth of the vinaigrette. Repeat layers three times. Serve at room temperature.