Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for frying
- Optional toppings: applesauce, lox, chives, pearl onions and lemon wedges
- Coarsely grate potatoes and onion; drain any liquid. Place in a bowl; add green onions, egg, salt and pepper.
- In a cast-iron or electric skillet, heat 1/8 in. of oil to 375°. Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into hot oil. Flatten to form patties. Fry until golden brown; turn and cook the other side. Drain on paper towels. If desired, serve with toppings.
Nutrition Facts2 pancakes: 115 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 205mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 28, 2017
When I eat ethnic foods, I try to stay as close to the real thing as possible. I added matzo meal to the potato mixture for more authenticity. (Corn meal may be substituted). The meal helps to fry up crispy.
Jun 27, 2017
I made these last night for dinner and everyone loved them. I did fry them up and keep them in a 200 degree oven until all of them were cooked so no one was waiting or eating cold ones. I didn't have any scallions but I do have a bunch of chive plants so I used those instead.