Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 large Eggland's Best egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for frying
- Optional toppings: applesauce, lox, chives, pearl onions and lemon wedges
- Coarsely grate potatoes and onion; drain any liquid. Place in a bowl; add green onions, egg, salt and pepper.
- In a cast-iron or electric skillet, heat 1/8 in. of oil to 375°. Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into hot oil. Flatten to form patties. Fry until golden brown; turn and cook the other side. Drain on paper towels. If desired, serve with toppings.
Nutrition Facts2 pancakes: 115 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 205mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Nov 28, 2017
When I eat ethnic foods, I try to stay as close to the real thing as possible. I added matzo meal to the potato mixture for more authenticity. (Corn meal may be substituted). The meal helps to fry up crispy.
Jun 27, 2017
I made these last night for dinner and everyone loved them. I did fry them up and keep them in a 200 degree oven until all of them were cooked so no one was waiting or eating cold ones. I didn't have any scallions but I do have a bunch of chive plants so I used those instead.