Cheese & Red Pepper Latkes
These zesty latkes combine three cheeses with a handful of garlic and a colorful burst of red peppers. Shred the potatoes the night before to make dinner easier. —Christine Montalvo, Windsor Heights, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 medium sweet red peppers, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 18 medium garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 1-1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, saute onions and red peppers in butter until tender. Add 1/4 cup garlic, celery salt and pepper; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Add the potatoes, cheeses, flour, sour cream and remaining garlic; mix well.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in same skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into oil; press lightly to flatten. Fry in batches until golden brown on both sides, using remaining oil as needed. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts3 potato pancakes: 451 calories, 30g fat (12g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 699mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Savory Cheese and Peppery Potato Pancakes in Taste of Home December/January 2012