Cheese & Red Pepper Latkes
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 medium sweet red peppers, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 18 medium garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 1-1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Canola oil for frying
- Minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, saute onions and red peppers in butter until tender. Add 1/4 cup garlic, celery salt and pepper; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the potatoes, cheeses, flour, sour cream and remaining garlic; mix well.
- 3. Heat 1/4 in. of oil in same skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into hot oil. Press lightly to flatten. Fry until golden brown, carefully turning once. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with parsley.
3 potato pancakes: 437 calories, 29g fat (11g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 677mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
May 28, 2018
Nice spin on traditional potato pancakes. Full recipe did make quite a few, will scale back next time.