- LEMON CURD:
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Additional sugar
- In the top of a double boiler, beat eggs and sugar. Stir in butter, lemon juice and peel. Cook and stir over simmering water for 15 minutes or until mixture reaches 160° and is thickened. Cover and refrigerate until chilled (may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week). For scones, combine the first six ingredients in a bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Combine milk and lemon juice; stir into crumb mixture just until blended (dough will be soft). Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently six times. Shape into a ball. Pat dough into an 8-in. circle. using a sharp knife, cut into eight wedges. Separate wedges and transfer to a greased baking sheet, Sprinkle with additional sugar. Bake at 425°for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with the lemon curd. Yield: 8 scones.
Reviews forPoppy Seed Lemon Scones
"These are wonderful. I've been making them since the recipe was first published. They always turn out. They are quite large so I have occasionally made two circles and cut them into 16 triangles. This is my favorite lemon curd recipe."
"wonderful and moist.. I added lemon zest and crushed almonds.. these are indeed wonderful with lemon curd."
"Very tasty!...especially with the lemon curd."
"Absolutely loved this recipe, moist and great with the lemon curd. My family really took to this recipe."
"Great scone. Moist on the inside, crunchy on the out, although I would add more sugar, especially if not eating it with the curd."
"Yum!These are delicious! I baked these last night to bring into work today. When I tried one last night I couldn't stop at just one! Good thing I made a double batch! The lemon Curd is what makes these scones, it adds a needed sweetness.I was surprised at how easy this was to make. I will definitely make these again!"