Lemony Poppy Seed Muffins
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makes6 jumbo muffins
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the sour cream, lemon juice, extracts and lemon zest.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in poppy seeds.
- Fill six greased jumbo muffin pans. Bake at until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20-23 minutes. Remove to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 496 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 131mg cholesterol, 517mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 7, 2013
These came out great as far as being fluffy. Even after adding Lemon Yogurt (instead of sour cream) and extra zest they still weren't as lemony as I expected. So I spread lemon curd on them. I will make these again and add more lemon juice.
May 28, 2012
I made this recipe as a loaf bread and it was delicious. I did make some substitutions, but still it came out moist and delicious. The first thing I realized was I didn't have any lemon extract on hand, so I just used more lemon juice and lemon zest. Also, I substituted organic plain yogurt for the sour cream. I put the mixture in a greased clay bread cooker and cooked it for 55 minutes. My family loved it and I will definitely be making it again. Next time I plan to have the extract! Thanks so much for sharing this delightful recipe.
Apr 2, 2012
This muffins are just what I was looking for! They turn out fluffy and moist with just the right amount of lemon flavor. I don't have a jumbo muffin pan so I ended up with 18 standard size muffins and baked for 12 minutes. I will be making this recipe again and again!