Poor Boy Sandwich
Field editor Violet Beard of Marshall, Illinois shares her recipe for a fresh-tasting tuna sandwich.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 French or submarine roll
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 can (6 ounces) tuna, drained and flaked
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cut a thin slice off top of roll; set aside. Hollow out center, reserving 1/2 cup of bread and leaving a 1/4-in. shell. Combine butter and celery seed; spread over inside of roll and on cut surface of top. Combine remaining ingredients and reserved bread; spoon into roll. Replace top.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 787 calories, 49g fat (12g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 1262mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 50g protein.
Originally published as Poor Boy Sandwich in Taste of Home April/May 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.