This lovely layered loaf from Mildred Sherrer of Bay City, Texas is definitely not your everyday sandwich. Piled high with a variety of fillings, the wedges are great for a special occasion when served warm from the oven.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 unsliced round loaf (1-1/2 pounds) rye bread
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 pound sliced deli roast beef
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 to 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/4 pound sliced deli ham
- 6 bacon strips, cooked
- 6 slices process American cheese
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 4 slices red onion, separated into rings
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- Cut bread horizontally into six slices. Spread bottom slice with horseradish; top with roast beef. Place the next slice of bread over beef; spread with mayonnaise and top with Swiss cheese. Add next slice of bread; spread with mustard and top with ham. Add the next slice of bread; top with bacon and American cheese. Add next slice of bread; top with tomato and onion.
- Spread butter on cut side of bread top; cover sandwich. Place on a baking sheet; loosely tent with heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° for 12-14 minutes or until heated through. Carefully slice into wedges.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Giant Sandwich in Quick Cooking March/April 2001