Mighty Hero Sandwich
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large tomato, halved and sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 thin slices red onion, separated into rings
- 1 round loaf (1 pound) sourdough bread
- 1 small zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 pound sliced deli turkey
- 6 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, whisk the first six ingredients until blended. Add tomato, mushrooms and onion; toss gently to coat. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut loaf horizontally in half. Hollow out both parts, leaving a 1/2-in.-thick shell (save removed bread for another use).
- Drain marinated vegetables, reserving marinade. Brush marinade over inside of bread halves. Top bottom half with zucchini. Layer with half of the marinated vegetables, 1/4 pound turkey and three slices cheese; repeat layers. Replace top of loaf. Cut into wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 233 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 636mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Apr 30, 2016
Awesome sandwich..loved the marinated veggies!!
Apr 10, 2016
This was excellent. My husband, son and I all loved it. I added salami and used different cheese (half with cheddar, half pepper jack), but marinated the vegetables and used zucchini exactly as directed. The marinated vegetables added great flavor, and it was easy to assemble. This would be fantastic for a party.