Pirate’s Shipwreck Stew
I got this recipe from a minister's wife, and I imagine she used it many times at church gatherings. It's an inexpensive "stick-to-the-ribs" dinner that's quite easy to prepare. Plus, it tastes even better reheated the next day.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup water
- In a skillet, brown beef with onion over medium heat; drain. In a 3-qt. baking dish, combine beef mixture with remaining ingredients.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until rice and potatoes are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 204 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 154mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Shipwreck Stew in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.