Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup water
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- In a 3-qt. baking dish, combine beef mixture with the remaining ingredients. Cover and bake at 350° for about 1 hour or until rice and potatoes are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 204 calories, 4g fat, 32mg cholesterol, 390mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate, 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Mar 24, 2020
Easy to prepare but too well over 1 hour to bake
Oct 10, 2017
A real comfort-food treat in the tradition of shepherd’s pie and beefy vegetable stew. I found this in a 1994 cookbook called The Country Cooking Recipe Collection, but while researching the recipe online I discovered it here by the same author. Warning: as written, it's not stew because it sucks up the liquid completely. I added 2 cups of beef stock to return it to its proper stew-y consistency. Another option I've used to great effect is serving the stew over baked potatoes (instead of cooking the potatoes in the stew itself).