Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup water
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- In a 3-qt. baking dish, combine beef mixture with the remaining ingredients. Cover and bake at 350° for about 1 hour or until rice and potatoes are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 204 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 390mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Oct 10, 2017
A real comfort-food treat in the tradition of shepherd’s pie and beefy vegetable stew. I found this in a 1994 cookbook called The Country Cooking Recipe Collection, but while researching the recipe online I discovered it here by the same author. Warning: as written, it's not stew because it sucks up the liquid completely. I added 2 cups of beef stock to return it to its proper stew-y consistency. Another option I've used to great effect is serving the stew over baked potatoes (instead of cooking the potatoes in the stew itself).
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.