Summer’s End Stew
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 1 hour 40 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 to 12 medium fresh tomatoes, peeled and cut up
- 2 cups tomato juice or water
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 4 to 6 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 to 5 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups fresh cut green beans
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2 to 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil over medium-high heat. Add the tomatoes, tomato juice or water, onions, garlic, pepper, and salt if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, corn, green beans, peas and celery. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add zucchini; simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Stir in parsley and sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 189 calories, 6g fat (0 saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 meat.
Dec 2, 2009
The stew is wonderful. I make the whole recipe for my husband and I and freeze daily portions and we have a great meal ready to go anytime. It needs to cook a lot longer than stated, though. But it's wonderful!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.