This is a dish that I enjoyed as a child and still remember with pleasure. Mom's homemade bread made the perfect complement to this meal.
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes8-10 servings (3 quarts)
- 6 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 pound green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- In a Dutch oven, bring water and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil. Add the beans, carrots, and potatoes. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15 minutes. Add corn and peas; cook 3-5 minutes longer or until tender.
- Drain, reserving 2 cups liquid; set vegetables aside. In the same pan, combine the butter, cream, chives, pepper, paprika, reserved liquid and remaining salt. Add vegetables and heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 284 calories, 21g fat (13g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 485mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Hodgepodge Stew in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook