This is a dish that I enjoyed as a child and still remember with pleasure. Mom's homemade bread made the perfect complement to this meal.
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes8-10 servings (3 quarts)
- 6 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 pound green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- In a Dutch oven, bring water and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil. Add the beans, carrots, and potatoes. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15 minutes. Add corn and peas; cook 3-5 minutes longer or until tender.
- Drain, reserving 2 cups liquid; set vegetables aside. In the same pan, combine the butter, cream, chives, pepper, paprika, reserved liquid and remaining salt. Add vegetables and heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 284 calories, 21g fat (13g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 485mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Hodgepodge Stew in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.