Moroccan Cauliflower and Almond Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 large head cauliflower (about 3-1/2 pounds), broken into florets
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted and divided
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 3 teaspoons harissa chili paste or hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Additional harissa chili paste, optional
- In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, combine cauliflower, vegetable stock, 1/2 cup almonds, 1/2 cup cilantro and the next seven ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until cauliflower is tender, 6-8 hours.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or cool slightly and puree soup in batches in a blender; return to slow cooker and heat through. Serve with remaining almonds and cilantro and, if desired, additional harissa.
Test Kitchen tips
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 116 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 835mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
May 25, 2018
I keep going back to this recipe again and again. I follow the recipe to the letter, and it makes a creamy, delightful soup with deep, rich flavors. The almonds add some bulk so this soup can stand on its own as a meal. It truly is quite delicious!