Pina Colada Grilled Pineapple
During a cookout with friends, I forgot about dessert. I had a fresh pineapple and coconut, so I improvised. Now I grill pineapple at every cookout. —Josee Lanzi, New Port Richey, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine whipped topping, lemon zest and extract. Refrigerate, covered, until serving. In a small bowl, combine oil and cinnamon. Brush over both sides of pineapple slices.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly. Grill pineapple, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned, turning once. Place pineapple on dessert plates. Top with whipped topping mixture; sprinkle with coconut.
Editor's NoteTo toast coconut, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
Originally published as Pina Colada Grilled Pineapple in Grill It 2016 Bookazine