Pickled Pepperoncini Deviled Eggs
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 hard-boiled large eggs
- 1 jar (16 ounces) garlic and dill pepperoncini
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced sweet red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Cut eggs lengthwise in half. Remove yolks, reserving whites. Mash yolks. Stir in 1 teaspoon minced garlic from the pepperoncini jar and 2 teaspoons pepperoncini juice. Add 3 tablespoons minced pepperoncini and the whole avocado; mash with a fork until smooth. Stir in 2 teaspoons cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; insert a medium star tip. Transfer avocado mixture to bag. Pipe into egg whites, swirling it upward to resemble Christmas trees. Sprinkle trees with minced red pepper, chili powder and remaining cilantro.
- Cut open and seed one larger pepperoncini; slice into 12 small diamond shapes to top Christmas trees. Refrigerate, covered, until serving. Save remaining pepperoncini for another use.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 stuffed egg half: 59 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 125mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jan 4, 2019
To be honest, I was not a huge fan. My area only carries "normal" pepperoncini (without the added garlic) so I used those but added some minced garlic. I loved the flavor the pepperoncini brought to the eggs but I was not impressed with the avocado. The avocado did not add much to the flavor and it made the deviled eggs lose their convenience. Deviled eggs are great for parties because they can be prepared in advance and leftovers store well. However, due to the addition of the avocado, I could only make these right before the start of the event and leftovers did not keep well. On the plus side, they were a very pretty addition to the buffet table. I'd like to try a modified version of these recipe that leaves out the avocado.