Picante Beef Roast
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 pounds), trimmed
- 1 jar (16 ounces) picante sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Cut roast in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the picante sauce, tomato sauce and taco seasoning; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer 3 cups to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with roast.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 267 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 983mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 34g protein.
May 19, 2013
Used a 2-1/2 lb chuck roast which I cut in half, rolled in flour, salt & pepper and seared. Popped it into the crock, poured the sauce on top and cooked for 8 hours on low. It literally fell apart! We really liked the gravy too. Served it w/ roasted potatoes, carrots and onions on the side. Will definitely make again.
Apr 17, 2012
This was good...not as spicey as I expected though. If you like it hot I'd use hot picante and more taco spice.
Oct 9, 2011
This was simple to put together and made a great Sunday dinner.
Oct 9, 2011
Super easy ..super delicious!!!
Jan 6, 2011
I used a top round roast as I went for what looked best for roasts at our Meat Dept but will definately try with bottom round next time since there's a 30 calorie difference in 5 oz of meat. I also used "reduced sodium" picante, tomato sauce and taco seasoning. I cooked at 275* for 5 hours and it come out fork tender. The "Gravy" was amazing flavor with the roast. I'll definately be fixing this again.
Oct 26, 2010
Absolutely wonderful flavor - I did not brown the beef ahead of time, but don't think I needed to necessarily either. Sauce can stand alone without thickening agent if you're not serving potatoes or rice as a side.
Oct 17, 2010
MMMM. Delicious. And a great out of the pantry dish. Only thing I did different: I browned the meat before putting it in the crock pot.
Dec 9, 2009
Very good and soooooooo easy. We loved it!!
Oct 18, 2009
Loved it! We did not do the cornstarch and water part.
Oct 6, 2009
Easy to make and very pleasing on the palate
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.