Peppery Roast Beef
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours + standing
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon seasoned pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 boneless beef eye round or top round roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- HORSERADISH SAUCE:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a small bowl, combine the oil, seasoned pepper, garlic, thyme and salt; rub over roast. Place fat side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
- In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients. Serve with roast.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked beef with about 1 tablespoon sauce: 228 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 211mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 30g protein.
Feb 2, 2019
The sauce makes this recipe incredible. Sliced cold with the sauce spread on bread for sandwiches is great for lunches too.
Oct 30, 2012
This is really good. I made it the first time and my family fell in love with it! I will definitely make this again!
Oct 21, 2012
I love the spices on this roast, but it's the horseradish sauce that accompanies it that keeps this recipe in my regular rotation. I, too, have overcooked the roast before, but realized I had a 3 pound one, so needed to adjust the time. Also, using a meat thermometer can help avoid overcooking.
Jul 3, 2012
The meat turned out tough and it took 3 hours to cook. The flavor was good but it was really too tough to enjoy. If I did decide to make it again I think I would cook it COVERED instead of un-covered like the recipe suggests.
Dec 5, 2010
I love this recipe! It's my all-time favorite way to make a beef roast. And the sauce is fantastic, too!
Jul 30, 2010
My Mom made this for us and it was easy and very good.
Oct 8, 2009
My husband loved this and I made a mushroom gravy to go with it