- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 4 cups milk
- 7 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 8 cups (32 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly; set aside.
- Combine the potatoes, onions, cheese, and remaining salt and pepper. Place a third of the mixture in a greased 5-qt. baking dish; top with a third of the sauce. Repeat layers twice. Cover and bake at 350° for 2-1/2 hours. Uncover; bake 30 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 14-18 servings.
Reviews forParty Potatoes Au Gratin
"These were delicious. Very creamy and cheesy!"
"At first, the sauce looked like gravy served with chicken-fried steak, but looks can be deceiving. This was the yummiest, creamiest, and most buttered gratin dish I have made. Yummy! Thank you!"