I like the challenge of inventing recipes with ingredients I have on hand. This easy-peasy meal fits the bill. —Colleen Doucette, Truro, Nova Scotia
Featured In: 30 Quick Dinners Ready in 30 Minutes or Less
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup frozen peas (about 4 ounces), thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Freshly ground pepper, optional
- In a saucepan, bring broth and lemon juice to a boil. Stir in rice and onion; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is almost absorbed and rice is tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, whisk together egg and milk. In another bowl, toss bread crumbs with 1/3 cup cheese and oregano. Pound chicken breasts with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness. Dip in egg mixture, then in crumb mixture to coat both sides.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook chicken until golden brown and chicken is no longer pink, 2-3 minutes per side.
- When rice is cooked, gently stir in peas; cook, covered, until heated through, 1-2 minutes. Stir in lemon peel and remaining cheese. Cut chicken into slices; serve with rice. If desired, sprinkle with pepper. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Parmesan Chicken with Lemon Rice in Simple & Delicious April/May 2017
Reviews forParmesan Chicken with Lemon Rice
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 16, 2017
"This is amazing. The rice is something I will make just on its on. So good and simple."