Orange Shrimp Mojo
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon grated orange or tangerine zest
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound uncooked jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cups orange juice
- 3 tablespoons rum or chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large navel orange, peeled, sectioned and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup cubed avocado
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 teaspoon chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- In a small dry skillet over medium heat, toast cumin seeds and peppercorns until aromatic, 1-2 minutes. Remove from skillet. Crush seeds using a spice grinder or mortar and pestle.
- In a small bowl, combine the orange zest, oregano, salt and crushed spices. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon spice mixture over shrimp.
- In a large skillet, cook shrimp in oil over medium-high heat 1 minute; turn shrimp. Add orange juice, rum, garlic and 1 tablespoon spice mixture. Cook and stir until shrimp turn pink, 1-2 minutes longer; remove and keep warm.
- Bring liquid in skillet to a boil. Cook until reduced to 2/3 cup, about 35 minutes. Meanwhile, for salsa, combine orange, onion, avocado, 1/4 cup cilantro, jalapeno and remaining spice mixture in a small bowl.
- Stir shrimp and remaining cilantro into sauce; heat through. Serve with salsa.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 172 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 218mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 9, 2018
This was excellent, as DH mentioned before, during, and after eating it. I must admit to being last-minute lazy and using 1/2 teaspoon each of fresh-ground rainbow pepper and ground cumin in place of the whole-toasted-and-smashed variety. I used chunks of skinless/boneless chicken thighs instead of shrimp because I’m fixing shellfish tomorrow night. I’m sure this Mojo will be delicious with shrimp, too.Next time I will keep a better eye on my boiling OJ mixture. It cooked down more quickly than I expected, and I understood why the recipe photos showed a brown sauce instead of the pale orange liquid I started with. I needed to add more liquid to thin it back out, but it was just fine. And the salsa was the perfect complement. Keeper!