Olive Potato Salad
My mother shared this recipe with me at my bridal shower more than 45 years ago. —Margaret Matson, Metamora, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 10 hard-boiled large eggs
- 10 medium potatoes, cooked, peeled and cubed
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- Chop six hard-boiled eggs; set aside. Slice remaining hard-boiled eggs and refrigerate. In a large serving bowl, combine the chopped eggs, potatoes, celery, olives, parsley, salt and pepper; refrigerate.
- For dressing, combine the sugar, flour, salt and mustard in a saucepan. Combine the egg yolks, vinegar and water; gradually whisk into saucepan. Add butter. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Cool to room temperature, stirring several times. Pour over potato mixture; gently stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Top with sliced eggs; sprinkle with paprika.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 218 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 213mg cholesterol, 399mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Olive Potato Salad in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.