Old-World Ricotta Cheesecake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + chilling
- 1-2/3 cups zwieback crumbs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 cartons (15 ounces each) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine zwieback crumbs, sugar and cinnamon; mix in butter until mixture is crumbled. Press onto bottom and 1-1/2 in. up sides of a greased 9-in. springform pan. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Beat all filling ingredients except eggs until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low until combined. Pour into crust. Place pan on a baking sheet.
- Bake until center is set, about 50 minutes. Remove from oven; let stand 15 minutes, leaving oven on. Combine topping ingredients; spoon around edge of cheesecake. Carefully spread over filling. Bake 10 minutes longer. Loosen sides from pan with a knife; cool 1 hour. Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight, covering when completely cooled. Remove rim from pan. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 260 calories, 14g fat (9g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 191mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 0 fiber), 7g protein.
May 14, 2018
I really want to make this recipe, so I went on Amazon, and...yup...they sell Zwieback. :)
May 13, 2018
Sam: Zwieback are not cookies. They are very much like melba toast...just thicker. Years ago Nabisco made them and sold them as teething biscuits for babies and they were stocked in the baby foods aisle in a bright yellow box. I have not seen them for over 30 years. Closest thing are pkgs of "rusks". Or....you can make your own by slowly toasting a plain fine-textured Italian bread sliced about 1" thick in a very low oven till completely dry and lightly browned. Zwieback makes a good crust for cheesecakes because it does not become soggy like graham cracker crusts can.
May 13, 2018
I have been looking for zwiebeck cookies for years and no seems to carry them.Does anyone know a grocery store that does?Thanks
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.