Old-Fashioned Honey Baked Apples
My baked apple recipe is very old-fashioned yet tried and true. It's definitely a comfort food. —Rachel Hamilton, Greenville, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 medium tart apples
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Core apples, leaving bottoms intact; peel top third of each. Place in a greased 8x4-in. glass loaf pan; fill with cranberries.
- In a small saucepan, combine water, brown sugar and honey; cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Pour over apples.
- Bake, uncovered, until apples are tender, 35-40 minutes, basting occasionally with juices. If desired, serve with ice cream.
Nutrition Facts1 baked apple: 253 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 13mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (59g sugars, 4g fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Honey Baked Apples in Reminisce October/November 2009