Oat-Fashioned Strawberry Dessert
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup cold butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Drain strawberries on paper towels; set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 1-1/2 cups for topping. Pat remaining crumb mixture into a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- In a bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon; stir in strawberries. Spoon over the prepared crust. Sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 313 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 213mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein.
May 23, 2017
My husband enjoys this dessert. I usually bake 2 at a time.
Aug 10, 2011
I really enjoyed this recipe. I've made it with apples, peaches, blackberries, and rhubarb. Also, I've substituted the flour, baking soda, and salt for bisquik. It works just fine. Additionally, I've used a couple of Tablespoons of lemon juice as well as a teaspoon of vanilla for added flavor. Yum!
Jul 12, 2011
This was a delicious way to enjoy our extra berries!