Moroccan Chicken Tagine Pockets
I enjoy shredded chicken dishes, Moroccan seasonings and pita sandwiches. The addition of the carrot salad laced with dates and pomegranate seeds lends an extra punch and crunch. Mini flour tortillas can be substituted for pitas. —Arlene Erlbach, Morton Grove, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice, divided
- 1/2 cup pitted dates, chopped and divided
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Moroccan seasoning (ras el hanout)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/4 cups shredded carrots
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- 7 miniature pita pockets, halved
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Place chicken in a greased 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. Combine the salsa, 6 tablespoons pomegranate juice, 1/3 cup dates, honey, Moroccan seasoning and garlic powder; pour over chicken. Cook, covered, on low, until chicken is tender, 5-6 hours.
- Meanwhile, combine the carrots, mayonnaise, pomegranate seeds and remaining dates. Refrigerate, covered, until serving.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred chicken with 2 forks. Return chicken and juices to slow cooker. Stir in remaining pomegranate juice; heat through. Serve in pitas with carrot slaw and, if desired, cilantro.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 164 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 194mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Moroccan Chicken Tagine Pockets in Simple & Delicious December/January 2019