- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 1-1/2 quarts fresh strawberries, sliced
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Mint leaves, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 8-in. square baking pan. In a large bowl, beat eggs on medium speed 3 minutes. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; beat into egg mixture. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter just until butter begins to melt. Beat into batter with vanilla (batter will be thin).
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Just before serving, cut cake into serving-size pieces; cut each slice horizontally in half. In a large bowl, combine strawberries and remaining sugar; spoon between cake layers and over top of each serving. Top with whipped cream and, if desired, mint leaves. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forMom's Strawberry Shortcake
"easy to make! This was EXACTLY what I was looking for!!! It reminded me of the wonderful shortcakes from my childhood!!! DELICIOUS ! I also had difficulty taking it out of the pan after 10 min - so left it in the pan and it was fine."
"Great shortcake. I mixed everything in the bowl together, mixing well. I also added an extra tablespoon of butter. I used buttermilk plus 1/2 tsp. baking soda and also cut the sugar to 1/2 cup, as I only wanted it slightly sweet. It came out great!"
"I have been making this recipe since it came out in 1996! 20 years ofthe best strawberry shortcake ever!"
"This is a great recipe for strawberry shortcake. I add frozen strawberries in syrup along with the fresh berries - delicious"
"This recipe is a winner! My family all raved about it and went for seconds.I added cinnamon to the batter. Awesome...."
"This is excellent. My husband loves it."
"reminds me of my grandmother's lost recipe. exactly what i was looking for."
"I doubled the recipe for a family party, it worked great in a 9x13 pan baked for 32 minutes. Delicious!"
"Delicious! I love that this only makes a small pan...great for my husband and I."