Mom’s Portable Beef
This delicious beef makes great sandwiches for a picnic, party or camping trip. The meat has a tempting from-scratch flavor that beats deli cold cuts. My family has savored these sandwiches for many years.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours + cooling
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon mixed pickling spices
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef eye round roast (3 pounds)
- 12 to 14 sandwich rolls, split
- Lettuce, tomato and onion, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first 10 ingredients; add roast. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove the roast and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, skim fat and strain cooking juices. Discard bay leaf. Thinly slice the beef. Serve on rolls with warmed juices and lettuce, tomato and onion if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 298 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 524mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Mom's Portable Beef in Taste of Home June/July 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.