Molded Cranberry Nut Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups cold water, divided
- 4 cups (16 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups dry red wine or cranberry juice
- 1 package (6 ounces) lemon gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups diced celery
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- Celery leaves
- Soften unflavored gelatin in 1/2 cup water; set aside. In 3-qt. saucepan, combine cranberries, sugar and wine or cranberry juice; heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Add lemon gelatin and softened unflavored gelatin; stir until dissolved. Stir in remaining water. Chill until mixture is partially set. Fold in celery and walnuts. Pour into greased 8-cup mold; cover and chill until set. Meanwhile, combine sour cream and mayonnaise; refrigerate until ready to serve. To serve, unmold gelatin and top each serving with dollop of dressing. Garnish with celery leaves.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 377 calories, 19g fat (4g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 134mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 12, 2010
Last holiday season I froze bags of fresh cranberries, but I never got around to using them. Knowing that they would go to waste if I didn't find a way to use them, I looked for a recipe. I decided on this one, and boy! was it a hit. My family exclaimed that it was Christmas in July! It is especially refreshing in hot weather so it doesn't have to be saved for cold weather holidays. I served it with barbecue!