Mini Mac & Cheese Bites
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1-3/4 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 3/4 cup biscuit/baking mix
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 425°. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle 1/4 cup bread crumbs into 36 greased mini-muffin cups. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and seasonings until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 1 cup cheddar cheese and Swiss cheese until melted.
- Remove from heat; stir in biscuit mix, eggs and 1/2 cup bread crumbs. Add macaroni; toss to coat. Spoon about 2 tablespoons macaroni mixture into prepared mini-muffin cups; sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pans 5 minutes before serving.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 91 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 162mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Jan 4, 2020
A big hit at my get together. Really loved the addition of bread crumbs. Will make again!
Dec 24, 2019
Just made these today for a Christmas Eve dinner and I would love to keep them all for myself, lol They are sooo good. I didn't have any onion powder so I just chopped some onion and sautéed it with the butter. I also did freshly grate the cheese but ran out of the freshly grated and ended up using the regular packaged kind also Added in chopped bacon for the 2nd tray ad used some grated parmesan cheese to put in the bottom of the mini muffins along with bread crumbs, yum!!
Dec 24, 2019
what am i missing??? instruction say to add "biscuit mix" but no biscuit mix in ingredients?!
Dec 23, 2019
Simple and wonderfully tasty! I can't wait to make again at my next holiday celebration!
Dec 9, 2019
I’m disappointed to say this was not good at all. Considering the amount of time it takes to make I was expecting much more. The addition of garlic powder and onion powder was so overwhelming that was all you could taste. I had to throw the entire mixture into the trash. It had no semblance to mac and cheese that I’m accustomed to eating.
Jul 14, 2018
Hi! Does anyone know if it’s okay to refrigerate the macaroni mix BEFORE baking for next day bake??? Thanks!
May 10, 2018
These are amazing!! It made way more than 36. Probably closer to 50. I packed them down in muffin tins so that they would keep their shape while cooking. The bread crumbs in the bottom were fantastic and allowed the bites to come out effortlessly.
Apr 9, 2018
These were made for a wedding and they were a huge hit and disappeared quickly. Several people asked for the recipe. There are easy to make and a great make ahead recipe.
Feb 2, 2017
I followed the recipe exactly and they were delicious. They were a big hit at a church potluck with the younger crowd. Problem was the adults scarfed them down, too. And finally a recipe for mac and cheese that doesn't call for Velveeta cheese, which I hate.
Feb 1, 2017
Simple appetizer and a hit with kids for dinner! Tried this recipe with a few different types of cheese and it turned out well every time. Also added a little more garlic powder and some Parmesan cheese (like mentioned in the comment below!). Delicious every time!