Mincemeat Apple Cake
For a festive touch, glaze the cake top and decorate it with red and green candied cherries. —Priscilla Gilbert, Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup prepared mincemeat
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves. In another bowl, combine the eggs, mincemeat, applesauce, juice and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For sauce, combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in butter until melted. Add lemon zest and juice. Serve warm with the cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 289 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 187mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Mincemeat Apple Cake in Taste of Home October/November 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.