Meatball Hash Brown Bake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed and patted dry
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup crushed saltines (20-25 crackers)
- 6 to 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Mix first four ingredients, 1 teaspoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt; stir in potatoes. Spread evenly in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, cracker crumbs, garlic and the remaining pepper and salt. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- In large skillet, brown meatballs over medium-high heat. Place over potato mixture, pressing in lightly.
- Bake, covered, 45 minutes. Uncover; bake until meatballs are cooked through and potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 387 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 808mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 29, 2018
This sounds delicious just as it is, but I changed it up a little by using frozen meatballs (as previously suggested), using cream of mushroom soup (instead of cream of chicken), and adding a small can of mushrooms. YUM!
Jun 20, 2018
Whole family enjoyed this dish. Was easy to put together, I too used frozen meatballs. Am going to make this for my church buffet this weekend. A keeper in my book!
May 3, 2018
Just finished with eating this dinner. Very easy to fix and this particular time I made it even easier by using frozen meatballs. My husband gives this a 9 of 10 stars, so I will be making again.
Nov 30, 2017
Awesomely easy, awesomely good!!
Oct 1, 2014
Made this last night, it was great. The family loved it. It was simple and easy. I did however use frozen meatballs to make it even easier. I was pressed for time. It was still great. Thanks for sharing!
Jan 25, 2012
My family loved this no leftovers. Like cheesy potatoes with the addition of meatballs.
Aug 22, 2008
I took a pkg. of ground beef out of the freezer this AM and immediately came to the computer to go online with TOH for "HELP". I don't think I could pay my grand kids to eat another bite of spaghetti and a meatloaf just didn't provide the bells and whistles I was looking for. TOH and their miracle workers who provide us with great recipes have never failed me. This is on tonights menu and is safely saved in my recipe box. Thanks TOH and especially JoAnn for sharing!
Aug 22, 2008
IL take a lot of potluck items to church. This sounds great but I would brown the meatballs in my steamer in the microwave to make them almost fat free. I might also make meatballs from ground turkey to cut down on fat.