Brown Sugar-Glazed Meatballs
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 3/4 pound uncooked small shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 4 bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke, optional
- 1-1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons stone-ground mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first 12 ingredients. Add pork; mix lightly but thoroughly. With wet hands, shape mixture into 1-in. balls.
- Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake 14-17 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through. Drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, mix glaze ingredients. Add meatballs; cook over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until meatballs are glazed and heated through, stirring occasionally.
Editor's NoteTo make soft bread crumbs, tear bread into pieces and place in a food processor or blender. Cover and pulse until crumbs form. One slice of bread yields 1/2 to 3/4 cup crumbs.
Nutrition Facts1 meatball: 59 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 112mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Feb 6, 2017
I love shrimp, but the shrimp in this recipe was overwhelming. and the meatballs just tasted fishy. I was supposed to bring them to a party, but just ended up throwing them away.
Sep 3, 2014
Really great recipe. Delicious over rice or wonderful alone as appetizers.
Jun 23, 2014
Great texture. I've always liked the mixture of minced pork and shrimp in many recipes and this one is no exception. I cut back just a tiny bit on sugar for us. Thanks for sharing.
Jan 9, 2014
A very good recipe. You can customize it for the taste buds of your family. The glaze really makes these meatballs stand out on any party table.