Matthew’s Best Ever Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + standing
- 3 slices white bread, torn into small pieces
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 2 large portobello mushrooms (about 6 ounces), cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 medium carrot, cut into chunks
- 1 celery rib, cut into chunks
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/4 pounds ground beef
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine bread and stock; let stand until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, pulse mushrooms, onion, carrot, celery and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add mushroom mixture; cook and stir until tender and liquid is evaporated, 5-6 minutes. Stir in tomato paste; cook 1 minute longer. Cool slightly.
- Add next 7 ingredients and cooked vegetables to bread mixture; mix thoroughly. Place a 12x7-in. piece of foil on a rack in a foil-lined rimmed baking pan. Transfer meat mixture to the foil and shape into a 10x6-in. loaf.
- Bake 1 hour. Mix together glaze ingredients; spread over loaf. Bake until a thermometer reads 160°, about 15-25 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- Freeze option: Shape meat loaf on a plastic wrap-lined baking sheet; wrap and freeze until firm. Remove from pan and wrap securely in foil; return to freezer. To use, unwrap meat loaf and bake as directed, increasing initial baking time to 2 hours. Mix together glaze ingredients; spread over loaf. Bake until a thermometer inserted in center reads 160°, 15-25 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 341 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 119mg cholesterol, 832mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 17, 2019
Flavor explosion! My husband and I loved this. It was a little rare inside so I recommend 30 minutes after glaze. So good! So different than my boring meatloaf!
Mar 1, 2018
I’ve always made the onion soup recipe and my family liked it, but I’ve alway been lukewarm about it. I tried this and my husband and I just love it. I think the veggies make it so flavorful. It makes a lot for just the two of us, so I freeze half of the mixture. I follow the recipe as is and it comes out firm enough to slice for me. It’s the only way I’ll make meatloaf from now on.
Apr 20, 2017
I maid this meat loaf for my husband and I. As I was mixing this recipe, I took notice to the texture and added about a cup of panko bread crumbs. Also added 2 packs of meat loaf seasoning because we enjoy an extra bold flavor. We liked the vegetables as we felt they were a fine addition to the recipe.
Mar 30, 2017
My family calls me the Meat Loaf Queen, but I am always looking to make things better or different, so I made this one exactly as published. Sorry, Matthew, this is not the "best ever." As previous reviewers said, it did not hold together. (Remedy: omit the 1/2 cup beef stock and use Panko or dried bread crumbs instead of white bread). Carrots are not needed as their sweet flavor distracts. Use lean ground beef, which renders less fat. And, I would stay with the conventional loaf pan. And, one last thing... too much glaze. Overpowers the flavors of the meats. There are some things that need to be updated, but the good old meatloaf is not one of them.
Mar 25, 2017
I halfed this recipe as there are only 2 of us and it came out ok. Did not hold together very good. I think I did not let it set long enough. I left out the mushrooms. Overall we both liked it.
Mar 13, 2017
This is actually this first time I have ever made meatloaf - I don't like meat, but my family of 6 LOVED this. I like the fact that it has lots of vegetables in it, especially ones my children wouldn't normally eat, like mushrooms. The only reason I give it 4 stars was because it was so moist that it didn't hold together, so there really wasn't a slice of meatloaf, it was more like a mound on the plate. That was my family's only complaint. Not sure what I did wrong since I followed directions.
Feb 14, 2017
This was great! We really liked this recipe. I hadn't made meatloaf in a long time but this one will go into the regular rotation.
Feb 7, 2017
Always looking for a good meatloaf recipe for my carnivores and I will keep this one. Next time I will probably omit the carrots--didn't think they added any flavor--but everything else was delicious. Mushrooms added an interesting twist.
Feb 7, 2017
I would rate it as excellent with 5 stars. Its the food processor processed vegetables that gives it the best ever moist flavor not dry at all. Although I forgot to use the soy and Worcestershire it was absolutely delicious. It will stay on my menu and will use them the next time.
Feb 7, 2017
I made this meatloaf last night, it was just ok, probably won't make it again. Personally, I didn't think it was very flavorful - maybe my taste buds weren't working.