Low & Slow Pork Verde
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa verde
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chiles
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Hot cooked grits
- Sour cream, optional
- Place pork and onion in a 4-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine salsa, chiles, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, pepper flakes and cinnamon; pour over meat. Cook, covered, on low 5-6 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred pork with two forks. Return pork to slow cooker; heat through. Stir in cilantro. Serve with grits and, if desired, sour cream.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without grits and sour cream): 349 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 872mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 34g protein.
Jun 4, 2020
I thought I was the only one! Agreed on the cilantro distaste! It's just not something I can abide....and while I wouldn't agree with the "SOAP" analogy, it's just too strange and strong and overpowers EVERYTHING! With all the wonderful other seasonings/flavor in this recipe, I don't see the need for cilantro!
Feb 27, 2020
TOH is my go to site for recipes to adapt for steam pressure cooker canning. This recipe is one of my favorites and is easily adapted to canning. I do eliminate the cilantro - I'm one of the wierdos with DNA distaste. Cilantro tastes STRONGLY of soap to me, and I serve it over steamed rice rather than grits.
Feb 13, 2020
This looks good and I'll probably try it. Is this Missouri's FAVORITE RECIPE? Hardly. Where does this business come from???
Oct 18, 2019
Dahlia I would lay the sliced onions in the bottom of the Crock-Pot first as a bed for the pork. Hope that helps love!
Oct 10, 2019
When do you add the onions? With the first step?
May 7, 2018
Very good and full of flavor! The leftovers made wonderful sandwiches and I'll be using the rest for posole! Delicious!
Dec 11, 2017
Delicious! Made exactly as recipe states. Can definitely see where this would be a great base for white chili.