Low-Fat Broccoli Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen broccoli
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- In a large saucepan, combine the broccoli, onion and broth; simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Puree half of the mixture in a blender; return to the saucepan.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and 3 tablespoons of milk until smooth. Gradually add remaining milk. Stir into the broccoli mixture. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 112 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 157mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat-free milk.
Aug 10, 2016
I made this twice. Was really good with cheese
Aug 17, 2013
Great! Everyone's fav! I double the broccoli and onion, and use 32 oz of chicken broth. (Still use same amt cornstarch and milk.) Then blend less than half of broccoli base b/c we like it chunkier. Soooo good!
Dec 5, 2010
I have made this recipe many times and have even used cauliflower instead of broccoli. It really is a wonderful and easy soup.
Apr 30, 2010
So easy and so good everyone had seconds
Feb 25, 2010
I added a small amount of cheddar cheese to this soup - yummy!
Dec 16, 2008
I may add a few more low cal/low fat ingredients; but I really like using fat-free evaporated milk.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.