Best Broccoli Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups chopped fresh broccoli (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a Dutch oven, bring water to boil. Add the broccoli, celery and carrots; boil 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain; set vegetables aside.
- In the same pot, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour to form a smooth paste. Gradually stir in broth and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Stir in reserved vegetables and remaining ingredients. Reduce heat; cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 164 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 868mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Apr 8, 2017
I used my immersion blender to make it smooth, we loved it! Nothing fancy about this at all, but a satisfying way to have a simple, nutritious meal. I also had us add a little cheese on top as others indicated. Just added another level of yumminess, but definitely didn't need it.
Apr 1, 2016
I cut the recipe in half. I didn't add the celery. I served it with egg salad sandwiches. So delicious! Thank you, Carolyn, for sharing this recipe.
Mar 1, 2016
Very, very good recipe!! Instead of boiling the celery & carrots, I sauteed them in a little olive oil until tender, then added the chopped onion and fresh minced garlic. I substituted 1 can of 2% evaporated milk for part of the milk in the recipe, which added a nice rich flavor. I didn't have fresh broccoli on hand, so I used some leftover steamed broccoli which I added at the end. I'll have the try adding some cheese next time.
Jan 28, 2016
Excellent recipe! I added a cup of grated gouda at the end and pureed it, only because I prefer smooth soups to chunky ones. Definitely satisfied the broccoli cheese soup craving!
Nov 5, 2015
This was fabulous. I doubled the recipe hoping to have leftovers. The four kids emptied the pot. I had been craving broccoli cheddar soup but decided to make this one, thinking we could add cheese at the table. The soup was so good that we didn't get the cheese out and never missed it.
Dec 21, 2014
Easy and yummy. I added half a cup of cheddar cheese at the end to add some flavors. Yummy.
Nov 8, 2014
This recipe is wonderful if you have a child who is 40 and still lives at home.
Feb 13, 2014
Everybody liked this recipe which is saying something because we have a sour cream broccoli soup that is a total favorite. I didn't think they'd even consider this one! We GRATE the carrots. My family is not big on cooked carrots, so this has been the solution since they were small. Also, I add some cream with the milk. We like it a little richer.
Feb 6, 2014
Amazing soup! My mom wants the recipe now. Said it was one of best soups she's ever had (dad agreed). For the leftovers, we both added cheese and water. Nummy.
Jan 11, 2014
Very good. It's a good way to use up a vegetable tray after a party. I would cut back on the salt.other wise it I is a great recipe