Lime & Gin Coconut Macaroons
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 4 large egg whites
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons gin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 package (14 ounces) sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces white baking chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk the first six ingredients until blended. In another bowl, toss coconut with flour; stir in egg white mixture.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake until tops are light brown, 15-18 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Dip bottoms of macaroons into melted chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 133 calories, 7g fat (6g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 67mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Mar 24, 2018
excellent snack. for groups
Dec 5, 2016
Not a fan of Gin so I used Golden Rum. Oh My Gosh! YUM!!!!
Dec 18, 2014
These are very good. I did add a little lime juice after reading some comments, about 1 TBL. and I think next time I will up the gin to 1/4 cup. The coconut I use is unsweetened and drier, so the added moisture will be fine. I have to admit, I haven't bothered with the white chocolate.
Dec 5, 2014
Easy to make, taste good, and look nice. I feel like there could be more flavor to the coconut, the grated lime doesn't really stand out. I added in more on the top before putting them into the oven, but I feel like I may add lime juice to the egg white mixture next time. (but keeping in mind I used Sugar in the Raw. So that may be why.)
Feb 9, 2014
I made these cookies this weekend because I thought the ingredients seemed interesting. These are some of the best cookies I've ever had. Very easy to make also. This recipe is a keeper.
Feb 4, 2014
You can use any kind of gin you wish or just leave it out all together. But really love these cookies
Dec 14, 2013
Can someone please tell me what type of gin is best to use for this?
Dec 4, 2013
Excellent cookies! And so easy to make! I recommend doubling the batch to share with friends! LOVE LOVE LOVE! YUM!
Nov 21, 2013
FANTASTIC!!!!!!! The gin adds a very different flavor. Everyone I've served these to ask loved them and had no clue it had gin in it. These will be on my christmas cookie tray for many years to come. I'll probably be making them all year long, too.
Nov 18, 2013
These are excellent cookies! I make them for the neighborhood and no one turns them down
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.