Lemony Coconut Macaroons
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- Dash cream of tartar
- Dash salt
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 packages (7 ounces each) sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until stiff peaks form. In a large bowl, beat milk and lemon juice on high speed until thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in lemon zest, baking powder and coconut. Fold in egg whites.
- Drop mixture by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Freeze option: Freeze cookies, layered between waxed paper, in freezer containers. To use, thaw before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 119 calories, 7g fat (6g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 109mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May 19, 2018
These were super delicious but I wouldn’t call them easy to make. I followed the recipe exactly but they were not easily shaped into balls. I used a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop and they were sort of messy looking so I tried rolling them into a ball with my hands. Those looked better but still did not hold together well. I refrigerated some of the batter and that worked better. I also had a hard time getting them off of the Silpat sheets so I left them sit a little longer and that worked better. I will definitely be making these again. They would be great for sending through the mail or for a cookie tray at the holidays.
Dec 7, 2014
I bake all of the time and will never make these again. Not sure what happened. They looked great before baking, but after being baked they spread out flat and had to scrap them off of the pan. Not worth the time or the money to just throw in the garbage.
Dec 5, 2014
No adjustments, these are sooooo easy and delicious.
Feb 5, 2014
I made these this past Christmas and was blown away by how easy they were to make and how delicious they turned out. I will definitely make them again. Very good and easy.